- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 4 lbs fresh whole clams with juice
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp finely grated lemon zest
- 1 whole garlic clove
- ¾ lb black linguine pasta (this is pasta that has been dyed with squid ink)
- 3 crushed garlic cloves
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 4 coarsely chopped Roma tomatoes
- Salt and ground black pepper to season
- 3 tbsp Greek yogurt
- ½ cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat two tbsp of the olive oil in a deep, sturdy pan and apply a medium heat. When hot but not smoking, add the whole garlic, the clams, lemon juice and lemon zest. Let the clams marinate in the garlic and lemon for ten minutes. Spoon out the clams and set them aside in a dish. Keep the garlic, lemon and clam broth to use for the sauce.
- Cook the linguine in boiling water.
- In a new pan, add the remaining oil and when heated, throw in the crushed garlic. Soften the garlic, but don’t let it brown. Add the clam broth and the dry white wine, and heat gently for 4 minutes.
- Add in the tomatoes and heat for two more minutes.
- Decrease the heat to the low end of medium. Stir the yoghurt in to create a creamy sauce, but ensure it doesn’t boil.
- Finally, stir in the cooked clams.
- Toss the linguine in the sauce, and serve in pasta bowls, garnished with the chopped cilantro. You can also add Parmesan cheese and chili flakes if you prefer.
- Serve with bread and a side salad with a light vinaigrette dressing.
Yoghurt is a great way to make sauces creamy and delicious without the calories and fat associated with creams. You must ensure the yoghurt doesn’t boil, though, this will make it curdle and once this happens your sauce is ruined!